Monday, February 7, 2011

Sad day for racing

This is my first post on sports and what better sport to write about than Formula 1. Well, yes - I am one of those nerds who loves to see cars go in circles!!

I am not sure why I chose this particular incident to write about...considering that its a sad, very sad turn of events for F1 and its fans. Personally, I feel very crippled with sad news - its totally unlike me to pen this down!

As per my addiction, I was scavenging the net for every bit of news, gossip I could garner about F1. It was a chilly and gloomy Sunday night; and it became even more gloomier when I saw the news about Robert's accident :( I am not a big fan of his, but he defnitely was an awesome driver - very talented as is evident from his successes in F1. As spectaular as the sight of a car crash looks, its only nice when a driver comes out of it unscathed...but Robert was not lucky this time. It might be an year or more before he recovers (and hopefully, he will) but to have your hand crushed is not easy to recover. Doctors had to reconstruct the anatomy on his right hand (yikess!!) which is truly an amazing thing to do, but how effective the hand will be, only time will tell.

This is not the first time he has been involved in an accident of this scale...I remember the horrifying accident he had in the Canadian grand prix some years ago - he had his luck and F1 technology (with regards to safety) to thank then...but this time around, he did not have both. H was in a rally - Rallying is a lot more of driving skill and less technology and less safe. I am very sure it is more thrilling and satisfying for a true driver to go rallying than drive an F1 car. Robert being one of the most talented drivers on this planet did take to rallying (like Kimi who was my favorite) - sadly, though I fear this is the end of his rallying ambitions.

http://en.espnf1.com/renault/motorsport/story/40129.html

Its a mystery though how his companion came out unscathed; very lucky! Hope Robert recovers fast and is back on the grid sooner than later.

Robert aside - I cannot wait for 2011 F1 season to get underway :) Renault meanwhile have to find a replacement for Robert - they have a few good choices, but my money is on Nick Hiedfield. Hulkenberg is another option, but I hope he stays at Force India :) :) and doesnt get hijacked to Renault - Force India need him. I am sure if he sticks to Force India, he will be in the cockpit next year as a full time driver.

Anyway, lets lift the curtains on the 2011 season and hope it will be as exciting as last the few years (if not more).

Let the racing begin . . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment